LEADERS - not followers

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

DAY 27 - NAPOWRIMO 2011

Posted to Writers Island


OVER TIME

So you’re lying there
Feeling quite pleased with yourself
Feeling pretty smug
And you remember
Why it is you feel so smug
It’s only because

Despite getting drunk
You still managed to get home
On your own two feet
And you remembered
To set your mobile’s alarm
…Weekend overtime

Which doesn’t pay you
Enough to cover last night
What you drank, smoked, ate
But still worth having
Even after Income Tax
…Just about… innit?

It’s almost as though
You’re willing; even daring
The alarm to ring
And in doing so
You’re actually causing it
To sound its ringtone

Just as these smug thoughts
Of Mission accomplished, and
Next weeks fat pay cheque
Navigate the space
(Empty space) between your ears
The useless thing sounds!

And the reason for
The sudden transformation
From ordinary
Common or garden
Mobile communicator
To a ‘useless thing’?

A look at the time
Tells you it’s nine fifteen
Not seven fifteen
You’ve gone over time
Late for work an hour ago
What’s all that about?

22 comments:

  1. Oh, dear - I think you need to read this now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jinksy; Should have read it before Friday night...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Punching a time clock...bleary eyed and late. Back in the day, went I!
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brenda; Been there, done that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much for those smug thoughts of mission accomplished!

    Great variation on the vanity of human effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Iself; You can't say he didn't try... can you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Viv; Well, I think he was feeling a bit deflated...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, the best-laid plans of the working mice, working men...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ron; Over time is overtime... isn't it...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Andy; It's all about timing... innit?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen. The whole of life is all abut timing - I've always thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't own an alarm clock. Have never owned one. Life is so much better without it.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Elizabeth; I'm the same - never needed one. Though there is an alarm function on my phhone, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I on the other hand have always owned an alarm clock, but I haven't punched a time clock in many years.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Pamela; Must be 20 years since the last time I 'clocked on'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. furry alarm clocks are reliable =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah...the empty space between the ear...so many times it's caused me to mis-think in the morning...oftentimes between "snoozes". And yes, Lucychili, it's the furry alarm that brings me to my senses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to:
    Lucychili; I put the cat out at night.
    Whenwordsescape; It's the thought of morning that causes the empty space for me... :)
    Mariya;I get 'masculine' most Friday Nights... :)

    ReplyDelete