LEADERS - not followers

Friday, April 22, 2011

DAY 22 - NAPOWRIMO 2011

Posted to Writers Island


I WANT, I WANT, I WANT!


When I stop to think
I often ask myself
What is it I want?
And then I ask myself
What do I want more?

I’m not a kid, you know
I know what I want
I don’t want everything
Just a tiny bit
Of everything there is

Most of all I want
The freedom to be free
Free to spread my wings
To soar above contempt
And be who I am

Another thing I want
Generosity
To leave you in no doubt
Of my intention
To give without question

Finally I want
The time to take in all
The love you can give
Your love keeps me happy
Wanting for nothing

Grant my three wishes
And I’ll be content
I’ll have all that I need
And, my life complete
I’ll die a happy man

15 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth? Not everyone gets a chance to give!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, a happy woman! With love, comes contentment, joy, sorrow...the whole shebang.
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to:
    Agnija; Even fewer get the chance to recieve...
    Brenda; All you need is love...
    Mad Kane; And I want to say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great list of wants. Unselfish, ungreedy, unlike so many people nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Viv; We live in a world of envy culture...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually quite powerful, Stan. More so because it is understated and so seemingly casual,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Elizabeth; Just trying to put a slightly more serious or considered slant on 'Iwant, I want, I want'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stan, this is fantastic! Stanzas three and four speak volumes. I concur with you on what is important in life.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Pamela; Most of the things we think we want are not important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice turn, stan. Headspinner. salute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the contrast between the title (leading the reader to think: "selfish") and the content (being far from "selfish"!)...excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. seems a shame to die
    when your life's pattern is complete =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stan, I like how you connect freedom, generosity, and time. Very positive. I like "to soar above contempt".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to:
    Ron; What do I THINK is important - what really IS important?
    Whenwordsescape; Exactly what I wanted to compare/contrast.
    Lucychili; Let me qualify 'Then'... :)
    Mr.Walker; Time is important to achieve any life-plan.

    ReplyDelete