LEADERS - not followers

Monday, April 5, 2010

DAY 5 - X-FACTOR


For Read Write Poem
NaPoWriMo Day 5

Today, let’s make poetry really personal.
Give poetry, as you write it, a name.
Possibly a gender.
And a personality.
A poet I know has written (and continues to write) a series of poems based on this principle,
and I shamelessly ripped it off (with permission, of course) and made a poem I called “Sasha.”
Sasha is many things, all at the same time, yet all are Sasha/poetry to me.
So it’s your turn.
Give poetry — how you view poetry, what poetry means to you, your poetry — a name.
Now write a poem suits your view or vision.


A certain je ne sais quoi to a lot of my writing, so I call it plain ‘X'



‘X’








Your tamarind-tart humour
puts some off you; draws some in.
Your egg-shell outer coating,
sturdy-looking yet so thin,
conceals an inner softness;
closely guarded no-go zone,
displayed on rare occasion
to reveal your heart of stone.




11 comments:

  1. That's a touch don't touch circumstance - but isn't so much of life that's worth anything...
    ...rob
    Image & Verse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob; If my words can trigger a reaction and provoke thought, then I consider it mission accomplished. Whether or not opinions expressed are my own, is beside the point - they are always subject to interpretation anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed the egg-shell metaphor. Grat work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this poem a lot.It paints a familiar landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great take on the prompt!

    and now, for some reason, I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem provides a feeling of texture, and at the same time leaves the reader at a distance with the cold heart of stone. Nice touches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stan,
    Very nice take on the prompt!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS is another good read Mr Ski..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I like the trinity thing you've got going here...

    btw, if the basket in the Tamarind tree picture is six on the clockface, is that a man with a machine gun at eleven?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to:
    Dan; Appearances...
    Rallentanda; Experience...
    Angie; Suggestion...
    Leonard; Layers...
    Pamela; Perceptions...
    Wayne; Personalities...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Andy; Got me again - He must be bananas if he thinks no one can see him.

    ReplyDelete