LEADERS - not followers

Monday, April 5, 2010

CELEBRATION

For The American Sandwich


AMERICAN CELEBRATION
April is the National Poetry Writing Month;
My intention is to post thirty pieces of Stan Ski verse this month.
That’s one new piece a day, for the month of April on Elephant Small.

That’s unless I decide to post to the Read Write Poem prompts as well.


IT’S NOT AMERICAN AND THERE ARE NO SANDWICHES

Last Saturday evening, we attended a nine-course Chinese Banquet.
We had Stir-fried Fish Maw, followed by Drunken Chicken and Jellyfish.
Controversially, the third course was Braised Sharks Fin Soup in Brown Bouillon.

Next, it was my personal favourite; the Barbecued Suckling Pig
After this, the waiters served Stir-Fried Prawns with tasty Black Pepper sauce.
Then it was double Boiled Bamboo Pith and Black Mushroom, with Yu-Nan Ham.

Steamed Ruby Fish in Chinese Brown Sauce was the next mouth-watering dish.
We still had enough room for Fried E-Mee Noodles with Shredded Chicken.
Finally came the ninth course; Sesame Dumpling in Ginger Syrup.


‘FOUND’ AMERICAN SENTENCES

“I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.”
AND
“I am an insect, and I must confess I’m very proud of that fact.”
From the song THE SONG FROM UNDER THE FLOORBOARDS by MAGAZINE
From the album SECOND HAND DAYLIGHT

“You wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.”
From the song SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND by PINK FLOYD
From the Album WISH YOU WERE HERE

“When I come home, cold and tired, it’s good to warm my bones beside the fire.”
From the song BREATHE by PINK FLOYD
From the Album DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

“I had no reason to be here at all, but now I’ve got a reason.”
From the song HOLIDAYS IN THE SUN by THE SEX PISTOLS
From the Album NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS, HERE’S THE SEX PISTOLS

“If I get my hands on a number two; come back home and marry you.”
From the song LAND HO! By THE DOORS
From the Album THE DOORS

“I knew no one could see it, and now that it was gone I rubbed my eyes.”
From the song EVENING OVER ROOFTOPS by the EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND
From the Album EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND

“Now I know how Joan of Arc felt, as the flames rose to her Roman nose.”
From the song BIG MOUTH STRIKES AGAIN by THE SMITHS
AND
“There’s panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee and Humberside.”
From the song PANIC by THE SMITHS
AND
“In a darkened underpass, I thought, oh God my chance has come, at last.”
From the song THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT by THE SMITHS
All from the Album THE WORLD WON’T LISTEN

“So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner.”
From the song THE QUEEN IS DEAD by THE SMITHS
From the Album THE QUEEN IS DEAD

“If I go, there will be trouble, and if I stay it will be double.”
From the song SHOULD I STAY OR SHOILD I GO by THE CLASH
From the album COMBAT ROCK

“We are the champions, my friend, and we’ll keep on fighting till the end.”
From the song WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS by QUEEN
From the Album NEWS OF THE WORLD

“I don’t wanna go to London, no I don’t wanna go to London.”
From the song I DON’T WANNA GO TO LONDON by THE WASTE
From the home-recorded cassette tape LIVE AT STAN’S

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your Chinese banquet sounds fascinating. Nine courses...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stan. Mouth-watering. I think I'd do without the sandwiches. Great concept. Keep serving them up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, that sounds like some banquet! amazing finding so many 'found' American Sentences this week. Nicely!

    btw, the link on this post to The American Sandwich game.. is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to:
    Rebecca; Most of the courses are just little appetisers.
    Greg; Sandwiches or not, it's bread and butter to me.
    Andy; I just jot them down as I listen to music. I'll fix that link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to find another on the poem a day journey. Look forward to reading yours.

    Thanks for visiting my site. I must say, though, I’m fairly certain you don’t set out to make those kinds of mistakes. Thanks for visiting and commenting in such a cheering fashion. Glad to have you there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Yousei; Your right - not THOSE kind!
    Look forward to more from you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Changnoi; You wouldn't have enjoyed it :/ :9 :P

    ReplyDelete