LEADERS - not followers

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

DAY 7 - TEFLON TALE – LOVE FUNNY SIDE UP

NaPoWriMo Day 7

For Read Write Poem




Today, Alan Summers wants us to write poems about “humor in love,” and he has a specific form in mind!
Write and capture humorous incidents related to love in a 5-line love poem called a tanka.
(You may even decide to create your own tanka journal for love poems!) Here’s how to write one:
1. Describe in concrete terms one or two simple images (two or three lines) from your humorous love encounter, not just what you saw but also what you tasted, touched, smelled or heard.
2. What were you were thinking at the time this love encounter happened? Write that down, too, as two or three lines, so you have five lines in total for the poem.
3. Think about making the third line of your poem into a pivot line, so that it links to both the previous two lines and to the final two lines.
4. Test the tanka by dividing it into two parts so the third line acts both as the last line of the first part and as the first line of the second part. Does each section make sense separately, and then together?
5. Think about reducing — and even avoiding — capitalization and punctuation because a tanka needn’t be like a sentence or merely a flat statement.
.
..
YOU CAN’T BEAT EGGS FOR BREAKFAST

.
no over easy
my wife only does scrambled
use a non stick pan
its hardly rocket science
teflon she begs to differ
.
Form corrected from:

why ask for over easy
she gives me scrambled
use a non-stick pan
it’s hardly Rocket Science
she begs to differ

.
Condensed from:

My wife can’t fry eggs
I ask for over easy
She gives me scrambled

‘Use a non-stick pan
So I can dip my sausage
In the golden yokes
Huh, sausage; that’s a good one!
But that’s another story

‘Everybody knows;
It’s hardly Rocket Science’
… ‘I beg to differ’

32 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrea. I guess eggs is eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever. A man destined to eat scrambled eggs for the sake of love is nothing to be scoffed at..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleverly done. I loved fried, but health demands scrambled. Ah, life ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You put a smile on my 1:15 AM face. At least you get eggs Stan. I get a bowl, a box of cereal, and instructions where I can find the milk -- with a suggestion that I might want to pick up a spoon when I pass the silverware drawer... ;)
    ...rob
    Image & Verse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to:
    RSA; Now I know my destiny, my life is complete :)
    Anthony; I hope they're not microwaved...
    Rob; Instructions... luxury...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew, this is a belting prompt from Alan, and you've really un-scrambled it! I don't think I can top this one!

    Love the bit about the sausage too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm...Scrambled, Not Fried

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to:
    Andy; I'm sure you'll come up with a good one.
    Ron; Actually... I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stan,

    Be grateful you're not left with egg on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Derrick; Small mercies...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot packed into a little there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lori; You haven't heard her side of it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever, Stan. Love the sausage line.

    --I think I'm in big trouble with this one today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Robin; The way to my heart isn't through my stomach ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think this poem is about food although my grandmother said that if you cooked well you would always have a husband.
    She didn't say the same husband.Maybe she wasn't talking about food either! I'll never know now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rocket science, indeed. Thank God for Teflon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha ha! My husband keeps insisting cooking "is" rocket science when I don't know how long something been's cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific. Thanks for the morning chuckle, with my eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for showing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with her. If my husband wants his over easy, he fries them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. eggs are eggs for sure...and rocket science for some......anyways good one Stan

    ReplyDelete
  22. All I can do is boil them myself. Scrambled is too messy for clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stan,
    I can't cook eggs either. I enjoyed this!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks to:
    Rallentanda; Innuendo - me...?
    Dan; Frying pans - in space?
    Robin; He's a TV chef then?
    OF; Eggs and... eggs. I'll try it!
    Kat; The prompt kind of implied it.
    Briarcat; Jack Sprat and his wife had the solution.
    Wayne; Cooking isn't for everyone...
    Evelyn; That's OK if YOU don't have to wash-up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Pamela; There's always Corn Flakes...

    ReplyDelete
  26. nice one...
    hahahahaha

    thanks for info..

    ReplyDelete
  27. thaz somehow so very reassuring that when one cooks everybody eats stanski... and man that was so funny... it was great that you listed all the different phases of your poem... made it all the more charming... erotic engine

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Pieceofpie; I liked the original Haiku-Tanka-Haiku version because it said a bit mote, but the Tanka was prompted et voila...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Stan

    Breakfast at yours is it?

    Eggs is good.

    Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Kim; Lucky I was up - give me half an hour while I squeeze them out of the hen...
    Any time you fancy it, your'e welcome.

    ReplyDelete