LEADERS - not followers

Friday, April 2, 2010

DAY 2





NaPo WriMo Day 2
For Read Write Poem

Today’s writing prompt is to type the letters RWP into the abbreviation search field at Acronym Attic and write a poem inspired in any way by one or more of the resulting phrases. You don’t have to use the words from the phrase in your poem, but you can if they fit. GLWI (Good Luck With It)!


DRIPPING

I watched,
as the uncovered wagon,
belching thick, black smoke, pulled up
and sounded its horn.

I watched
father and two young sons
empty the shop of its stock,
onto the roadside.

I watched.
They re-entered the building
and brought out their furniture,
personal effects.

I watched.
As the wagon was loaded,
the fat, chain-smoking driver
remained in his cab.

I watched
mother climb into the cab;
the lethargic driver, now
minus cigarette.

I watched
two exhausted teenagers
jump on back of the wagon
with their belongings.

I watched
the sick vehicle roll off,
spewing yet more thick, black smoke,
and smiled to myself.

I sat;
imagined the whole process
repeated, but in reverse
at some place nearby.

I looked
up at the Rain Water Pipe,
still dripping morning’s downpour
slowly but surely.

I stared
at the stainless steel shutters,
drawn tight across the shop-front,
and planned my next move.

21 comments:

  1. Great poem, and a lovely description of an act of observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pip; The things you notice while waiting for the weather to clear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i maybe wasn't so convinced by the driver but you've got a compelling darkness in the simple repetition of observation here that's realy powerful. read it. read it again. like it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Swiss; What was I up to...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Changnoi; That would be telling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The opening "I _____'s" in each line effectively mimicked the sound of dripping - really liked the piece Stan...
    ...rob
    Image & Verse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rob; I was trying to convey that sense of monotony.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the poem & love the way it looks on the page.

    great observation, and a little mystery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Angie; Nothing sinister - it was just a bit comical watching the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A touch of the existentialist about this poem

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the clear visuals of all you describe, and the repetition works well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely Stan, great observation, well recorded!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to:
    Mama Zen; I probably did something important that day too...
    Nessa; A true story and a very clear memory.
    Rallentanda; A clue to the contents of my library...?
    Poemblaze; Hence the title.
    Andy; if I'd caught it on camera, you'd see how funny it was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i imagine a repeating sequence
    of people moving
    water dripping
    someone watching
    who in turn moves
    and is watched
    so the people
    become a flow like the drips

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Lucychili; Nice interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this dripped very nicely indeed Stan...thanks for sharing your words

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Wayne; Yor visit and comment are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like this a lot...it is a thought I will keep for future reference. Repetition is so powerful, hypnotic almost.

    b

    http://torristravels.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-backhope.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks B; Repetition is how we learn.

    ReplyDelete