LEADERS - not followers

Saturday, March 6, 2010

INFESTATION

For Haiku Bones Infestation
And NaiSaiKu Challenge?
And The American Sandwich


HAIKU BONES INFESTATION

Paparazzi swarm
Invasion of privacy
Rid us of this plague


AMERICAN INTRODUCTION

Just for fun, I’ll start with another dodgy SYLLABLE SESTINA.
(Only included because I don’t have anywhere else to post it).
If anyone out there knows, could you please tell me if I got it right?


SYLLABLE SESTINA

Syllable Sestina.
Nasty teen lad says ‘dull’,
Collapses silver sheen,
Regal La-Di-Da-ness.
Guess queen will sulk at that.
Can flashiness fulfil?


AMERICAN SENTENCE

It is becoming increasingly difficult to take it easy.


AMERICAN SANDWICH

Will there be a second decade of the twenty second century?
I know for certain that life as we know it will have ceased to exist.
After all, it’s clear to me we’ll all be dead a hundred years from now.


AMERICAN PLAYLIST OF ‘FOUND’ AMERICAN SENTENCES

“Some day soon, don’t know where or when, you’re gonna wake up and see the light.”
From the song TEN STOREY LOVE SONG by THE STONE ROSES
From the Album SECOND COMING

“Keep a fire burning in your eye, pay attention to the open sky”
From the song FOR A DANCER by JACKSON BROWNE
From the Album RUNNING ON EMPTY

“Now she’s in purple, now she’s a turtle, Christine, the Strawberry Girl.”
From the song CHRISTINE by SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES
From the Album JOIN HANDS

“Try now, we can only lose, and our love become a funeral pyre.”
From the song LIGHT MY FIRE by THE DOORS
From the Album THE DOORS

“As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset, I am in paradise.”
From the song WATERLOO SUNSET by THE KINKS
From the Album SOMETHING ELSE

“The outlaw stance is so pedantic, hate the world, it’s so romantic.”
From the song YOUNG SAVAGE by ULTRAVOX
From the album HA! HA! HA!

“The caged bird sings with a fearful trill, of things unknown but longed-for still.”
From the poem I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS by MAYA ANGELOU
Set to music by BRANFORD MARSALIS on the Album BUCKSHOT LEFONQUE

“I wanna know, so why won’t you tell me about the mystery girls?”
From the song WHO ARE THE MYSTERY GIRLS? By THE NEW YORK DOLLS
From the Album TOO MUCH, TOO SOON

“Give me Stalin or St. Paul, give me Christ or give me Hiroshima.”
From the song THE FUTURE by LEONARD COHEN
From the Album THE FUTURE

“Find a place to call my own and try to fix up; start a brand new day.”
From the song OUT ON THE WEEKEND by NEIL YOUNG
From the Album HARVEST

“Something’s happening, and it’s happening right now; ain’t got time to wait.”
From the song SOMETHING BETTER CHANGE by THE STRANGLERS
From the Album NO MORE HEROES

“Just trying to do my jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.”
From the song JIGSAW PUZZLE by THE ROLLING STONES
From the Album BEGGARS BANQUET

“The gamblers face cracks into a grin as he lays down the King of Spades.”
From the song THE CARD CHEAT by THE CLASH
From the Album LONDON CALLING

“A dreaded sunny day, so I’ll meet you at the cemetery gates”
From the song CEMETERY GATES by THE SMITHS
From the Album THE QUEEN IS DEAD

“Follow the signs, seek the clues, got the evidence, and I know your rules.”
From the song LOVE DETECTIVE by THE RADIATORS FROM SPACE
From the Album TV TUBE HEART

“I know it’s the night, but have you got to beat the daylights out of me?”
From the song YOU TEAR ME UP by THE BUZZCOCKS
From the Album ANOTHER MUSIC IN A DIFFERENT KITCHEN

“Punctuality’s a waste of time, now nostalgia is past its prime.”
From the Song CLOSED GROOVE by STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
From the Album INFLAMMABLE MATERIAL

“But you screwed up this time, now you got to start from the bottom again.”
From the song STIFF LITTLE FINGERS by THE VIBRATORS
From the Album PURE MANIA


NANO AMERICO^

Over the moon; sick as a parrot.
Not so long ago, that was all that footballers seemed able to say.
Now they’ve all got degrees.


WALLS+WIRES

For those who’ve tried, unsuccessfully, to get their written work published.
Don’t give up the Day Job.
But whatever that Day Job may be, please don’t let it stop you writing.


FUTURE PROOF

Students, please turn to page SEVENTEEN in your AMERICAN TEXTBOOKS.


And, finally…

NaiSaiKu

The thin lady asks
“Does my bum look big in this?”
IT ISN’T OVER
“Does my bum look big in this?”
The fat lady SINGS

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Sol; that's a NaiSaiKu - you should try . Click the link at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely delightful page of nifty words, thoughts, styles and forms. The NaiSaiKu is a kick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tumblewords; I left the NaiSaiKu till last, for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smiling at the last. She always sings no matter what. But she does it when she is ready.
    Your start, I exercise my right. If you are in a public place you are liable to get your picture taken. Sorry, but you put youself (not you literally) out there.
    Good day's work, Stan. :)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jim; You know it's over when she does.
    Oh Jim, don't get me wrong; it's part of the reason why some people do it. After a while though, the novelty wears off.
    It's my camera and I'll click if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stan, there must be something wrong with the cache on my browser, 'cos I missed all your posts again.

    Anyway, great work as ever, and you certainly go to great lengths in finding the 'found' pieces!

    Brill NaiSaiKu! like the way you did that, and how you placed it at the end.

    Not sure about the Syllable Sestina, although it reads well, and I think that is probably about half the battle. But I suppose the other half and the important bit in this form, is how you arrive at the finished piece?
    This is how would I break it down:
    Syl lab le ses ti na
    na syl ti lab ses li
    le na ses syl lab ti
    ti le lab na syl ses
    ses ti syl le na lab
    lab ses na ti le syl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Andy; The breakdown is a good help and I'll refer to it in future. Similar, but not quite the same as my line of thought. And finding words that make sense is not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a talented wordsmith. I admire you, especially when I work so hard at 17 syllables. I like your haiku, it's a great use of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Andree; Sometimes it works out - if not, there's always next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you certainly are full of ideas and images.
    I came for a Haiku and remained for dinner. Yummy good stuff. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Cassiopeia Rises; Come back for more any time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's a great post ss.... i had to laugh thinking of all those songs and to wonder at the authors who knew they could be amer sentences... love form poetry tho it does take time to consider and contemplate...sestina's are tough... enjoyable but tough... free form poetry a great exercise in free speech... that last one hilarious...the only exception i take it would have been reallllllllllllllll funny with a gentleman speaking.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Piece of pie; Oh no! You've got me thinking of builders bums now. No problem, I was looking for a place to park my bike.

    ReplyDelete