LEADERS - not followers

Saturday, May 22, 2010

IMAGINARY FRIEND

For Writers Island Prompt #4 2010
Imaginary Friend


A MAN NEEDS A DOG

At feeding time he paces
From kitchen to living room
From living room to kitchen
From kitchen to living room

He thinks I can’t tell the time
He thinks I don’t care for him
So he paces edgily
Wants all he can eat and more

In return for sustenance
No sticks are fetched, no balls chased
Newspapers and post ignored
For nights out – baby sitters…!

House training lessons – unlearned
Shout ‘Here Boy!’ – Does he mean me?
He could sleep for his country
Whichever one that might be

When I can do without it
That’s the time he’s most alert
The smell of dinner cooking
He can’t get enough of me

Following me around the place
Getting right under my feet
In kitchen heat, I can’t stand
Not enough chefs; still broth spoilt

Sure, he’s a son of a bitch
In more ways than just the one
But I would never swap him
Because he is my best friend

Reprimand hesitated
That thing – with his eyes again
Back end raised, fore legs stretched
Tongue protruding Pavlovesque

Innocence in those eyes
Those eyes soften hardened hearts
Those eyes that stare into mine
As if he’s adoring me

18 comments:

  1. Animals! Gotta love'em! They demand love and attention! And doesn't it feel grand to know that they love you back unconditionally! Great little poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartfelt; familiar feelings came to me in memory of past furry best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to:
    GT; You only get back what you give.
    ViV; This is a composite of a few of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that. For all we know of our best friend, there are mystery and distance between us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will resonate with anyone who's ever loved a dog.

    http://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this...our "imaginary" friends, the daggone dogs, have filled many years of our lives.

    b

    http://torristravels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the direction you took this, Stan! One of my fav bumper stickers:
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to:
    Anthony; You either love them or... like them a lot.
    The Laughing Housewife; I think that covers most people.
    B; They help us smile through a crisis.
    Marianne; That would be some miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Irene; They never let you down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aawwww
    that posture description is right on the mark. Cat girls have another way of expressing their adoration--landing on late sleepers with the force of catapulted boulders

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'At feeding time he paces
    From kitchen to living room
    From living room to kitchen
    From kitchen to living room

    He thinks I can’t tell the time
    He thinks I don’t care for him
    So he paces edgily'

    Love that! My dog gives us the stare-down, rather than pacing. But she's on the same clock as your dog, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to:
    Briarcat; Cats can be very cynical.
    Julia; It's our own fault for training them so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Ron; Man's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. riends indeed Stan....thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Wayne; One man and his dog...

    ReplyDelete