LEADERS - not followers

Thursday, April 4, 2013

NAPOWRIMO 2013 #4

IDLE HANDS



At times I may feel suicidal,
but my idle hands won't do the devil's work.

It's a jerk reaction and nothing more,
as I fall to the floor with my arms outstretched,
and the pain is etched into my face.

But for the grace of god there go I,
into the eye of the raging storm,
engaging the form, rejecting the norm,
never expecting the gifts I accept.

With deepest respect and gratitude,
and an attitude that will never lessen,
I learn the lesson of my depression.

The passion that makes me feel suicidal
is soothed by the calm of my idle hands.



An instrumental contribution from Changnoi:
http://says-sir-ten.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/electric-changnoi_1729.html

 


17 comments:

  1. My depressions are always cured by finding something for my idle hands to do, so your take on this is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why but I find that physicality of any sort helps me through those type of days. Happily, I've not had to face them for a few years now. Stay well, Stan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depression is a bear. Usually your distraction technique will work. Now and then, it'll take off your arm.

    Seriously, though, change helps some. Exercise, some. It's surprising, but stretching and breathing deeply will give you a few minutes of clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way that idle rhymes with suicidal, the trick is to stay away from bridges! Love the optimism of the unexpected gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way that idle rhymes with suicidal, the trick is to stay away from bridges! Love the optimism of the unexpected gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking up that pen allows idle hands to focus on something else...
    perhaps the gift of creativity? And for your gifts too.

    Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been in the eye of that raging storm you mentioned. Got through it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Depression is an awful thing, Stan. You never know when it will rear its ugly head. Do take good care.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for writing about it Stan, that is definitely one way of dealing with it,

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/ode-to-those-golden-years/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome write about a hard subject, and one that resonates. Depression is awful. If this is autobiographical I hope that you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete