LEADERS - not followers

Friday, June 4, 2010

LIVING THE DREAM

For Big Tent Poetry


This week’s prompt
Earlier this week, the moon rose full and orange. It was gorgeous, and instead of worrying about werewolves or the other crazies that are supposed to be out and about during a full moon, I wanted to be one. Call it the pull of the moon or full moon fever, but as that glowing orb rose, the urge to do something wild and unpredictable grew like a daisy in time-lapse photography!
I’m not going to tell you if I did or did not indulge my urge to join the ranks of the wild and crazy, but I will put it into a poem. And that’s your job this week.
Write about something you would love to do but have never dared. Maybe you are indeed a poet who lives on the edge. Choose one of your greatest adventures and put it in a poem. Never ventured over to the dark side? Make something up! Keep us guessing. To quote Mary Oliver in “The Summer Day,” “Tell me, what is it you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?”



RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW

Full moon on the rise
Another day over
And nothing done but the day

So much more to life
Than nine to five routine
Wasted weekends down the pub
Pressure, pastimes, plans
Two weeks in Majorca
Saving for a rainy day
Disillusioned dreams
Unfulfilled ambitions
Searching for the perfect day
*
Staring at the night
Eyes and mind wide open
Affordable luxury

1998
My first trip to Asia
Indian sub-continent

1999
East, to Thailand; settled
The country I now call home
*
Childhood memories
A game I used to play
In my imagination
I’d transport myself
To my favourite place
Where all things were possible
Live life to the full
Laughing, learning, loving
Happily ever after

I like to think that
I’d imagined that place
To be right where I am now