LEADERS - not followers

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

ANOUSHKA SHANKAR, MARTHA ARGERICH

FOR POW PROMPT 13


Marta Argerich and Anoushka Shankar are two brilliant musicians
who share similarities and striking differences in both culture and art media.
Let their magical performances inspire your next POW poem.
May the Musical Gods ring in your ears all weekend!


TRINITY

Digits dance along the fingerboard to match the speed of sound
Mesmerising the spectator with a rhythm to astound
Bengali family tradition in a Ravishing display
Of a master class sitar performance – takes your breath away

Half a world away Evita’s husband was responsible
For a choice of diplomatic post that made it possible
For a talented piano prodigy to win acclaim
Captivating global audiences; while she shunned the fame

Be it by inheritance or divined by intervention
Music lives and breathes and prospers long after its invention
Three in one the composition from Prime Numbers One Two Three
Fathers, daughters, spiritus conspire; revered - a trinity

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic rhythm. I like where the prompt takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ViV; It took me further than this, but other matters took me away from it, so it's not quite what I intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this.Music does live and breathe long after its invention. Also impressed by the rhyming couplets.
    Good for thee
    Stanski babee

    WV
    Farkma
    some very rude people in google

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rall; This is the first draft really, of what might have been reworked a few times.
    And the WV is a VERY English version of a common American saying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stan,

    See, this is where you and I differ; I would have been thrilled enough with this not to want to try further!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you rhyme in this. I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award.
    http://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/id-like-to-thank-my-family/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the rhyming couplets, too. And the RAVIshing pun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to;
    Derrick; I'm not disappointed with it - I just wanted to work in the Prime Numbers them a little less clumsily.
    TLH; I felt that with the longer line structure (intending to mimic the the fingerwork of the performers), rhyme (in couplets) was appropriate.
    Dr.FTSE; I've listened to a lot of Ravi Shankar, but this was the first time I'd heard Anoushka.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stan, I like where this went for you. I can see Anoushka playing through your words. The third stanza ties it together in an interesting trinity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice rhyming in this piece Stan!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to:
    Brenda; The third stanza is where I think the words just need tidying up a bit.
    Pamela; I think it needed the rhyme, or the length of the lines makes it read like prose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Connection is always interesting
    (I'm more familiar with Anoushka's half-sister, Norah Jones)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Briarcat; I think music connects us on levels we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the way you weaved the performers backgrounds into this. I didn't know very much about Marta Argerich.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Francis; Neither did I, which was why I had to look her up... and I concentrated more on the performers, rather than their performances.

    ReplyDelete