LEADERS - not followers

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Love and Eternity

TOP
MAD KANE
MONDAY POETRY TRAIN REVISITED
For TOP - Aubade
FOREVER AGO

A
lonely
man must wait

At last she comes

Claims her love will last
for ever … never fade

Dreaded vote of confidence
precedes her planned intention

Terms, conditions, warnings, threats
In place of passion – tension
accusations, denials
questionable endeavour

She leaves as dawn announces
the first day of forever

Alone again so soon
a man considers

How rapidly

‘Forever’
becomes
a

distant memory

For Mad Kane's Haiku and Limerick
A CURE FOR LOVE?

When Doctor Love came to town
To cure the ‘stood up’, ‘let down’
He hired a stadium
And The Palladium
Such was his world renown

The tickets were sold out; gone
No seats for the love-sick; none
Intended for only
The sad and the lonely
It turns out that’s everyone

For Monday Poetry Train Revisited
ETERNAL

I wouldn’t want eternal life
A hundred years would do for me
I couldn’t take the stress, the strife
Of living for eternity

Loss of my hair, teeth, faculties
Would make me wish for death’s dark door
I couldn’t cope without all these
An OAP for evermore

I’d try to end it with a knife
Unless I could be shown the proof
That, given with eternal life
The promise of eternal youth

19 comments:

  1. Hi Stan, ambitious post, think I like the Limericks best but words of wisdom scattered everywhere and the last three lines of Eternal speak volumes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all three of these...the second one had a great rhythm to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so clever stan.. that middle verse in the first one is excellent... well all of it is but that one made me read it twice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to:
    Mad Kane; Perhaps Dr. Love is St Valentine.
    Andy; They're starting to mean a lot more to me these days.
    Fledgling Poet; They follow the same kinf of theme and seemed appropriate to the varios prompts.
    Paisley; I guess it's a process that everyone's been through, and if it sounds a bit cynical, that's just the effect the process has - for a while at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The third poem is a concept I've found oddly wearying sometimes, even from young childhood. The idea of life never, ever ending makes me tired when I'm physically and mentally worn out. But I figure it will all sort itself out once I do get to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julia; I think it's a case of, 'I don't want everything - just a little bit of everything.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great variation of styles there. Enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like the first one. nothing seems as forever these days.. but lucky ones few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked all three but enjoyed the first one the most.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where would we be without the backbone of cynical to see us through what sometimes feels an eternity of forevers? Good stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way you shape your poems on the page. A cynic among us! Who would have thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to:
    Anthony North; Nothing is forever, however much we want it.
    Gautami Tripathy; Pro's & cons of love & eternity.
    Floreta; Forever can become never in a heartbeat.
    Ofira Sephiroth; Of course there are two sides to this (and every) story.
    Tumblewords; we have to react first before an assessment can be made.
    Granny Smith; Are cynics allowed to look back and laugh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very very nice. Enjoyed reading all three.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jeeves; forever is all around us, but never seems to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've with you on eternal life. There are far too many people not enjoying the latter part of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Watermaid; Perhaps they're the ones that chose eternity, and are now regretting it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved all the line shere .. but the limerick was just so cutely done !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Pretty Me; If only it wasn't so true.

    ReplyDelete