LEADERS - not followers

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MIDNIGHT

For Totally Optional Prompts



LIFE ON EARTH?

As jasmine-fragrant shadows ride the breeze
I gaze into the star filled midnight sky
As deep and dark and fathomless as time
Or any frozen ocean that exists
On any planet; any galaxy
Contained within the vastness of the night
Sound effects – nocturnal chorus chirp
In digital surround sound stereo;
A rustling; almost imperceptible
Amid the trees and unkempt undergrowth
…The only clues that I am not alone
…That other life has walked on planet Earth



MIDNIGHT

If tomorrow comes
It will last but a heartbeat
The stroke of midnight

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeeves; appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the final half of Life on Earth? - I feel just the same when I'm out walking at night with my dog. Love the detail of surround sound and unkempt undergrowth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to:
    Julia Smith; Surrounded by the universe, yet still that feeling of being alone.
    Lostmermaid; Sometimes it's hard to imagine life on earth, let alone on other planets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life on Earth? is such an inspirational poem, combines fine words and layered thoughts to make a fine, fine read...Indeed, other life has walked on planet Earth.
    Midnight - a provocative piece.
    I truly enjoyed both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both excellent reads - especially the first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to:
    Tumblewords; your kind words are appreciated.
    Anthony North; Often at night...I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those last 3 verses really blew me away! It made me wonder, what if tomorrow didn't come, would midnight last forever? I was speechless, I must say.

    The rest of the poem is beautiful and certainly inspired by beautiful nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Devil Mood; Thing is - as soon as tomorrow does come - it's already today!

    ReplyDelete