LEADERS - not followers

Monday, November 17, 2008

TOP SOUND

COLOUR OF SOUND

One stanza of my recent
(click the link)
TOP Marketplace Poetry post
Was loosely based on a incident
At school, years ago.


The teacher said

'Write 1000 words, inspired by the phrase
If silence is golden, what colour is sound?’

I wrote:


If silence is ‘golden’
I’ll keep my ‘silver’ tongue
In the place it belongs
Inside my tight shut mouth


He gave me an ‘A’, and said
‘Next time, keep it to just 1000 words’


WITHOUT A SOUND

“Watch my lips,” she said to me
And mouthed a word, a blasphemy
Commandment broken
Though word not spoken
She’ll burn in hell eternally



SOUND AS A POUND

I went around to sound him out
About a pound he owed me for a drink
Off like a hound, he crowned my day
Let’s say I frowned, perhaps not what you think
So I’ll be bound he wound up drunk
Sunk to the ground, leaving mine at the bar
But when I found he’d downed my glass
Alas, I turned round from my empty jar
Curses abound, astound and resound
Sound asleep, run aground like a jeep
Paradise found? A burial mound?
A hound in a heap, surrounded by sheep
Sound as a pound, he’d downed the round
Clowned around, and wound up on the ground
Sorrows drowned, or victory crowned
When he comes around, I’ll claim back my pound.


VOWEL SOUND

I think E said ‘straw’
But U know that’s just like A
O, is it really?”